Re: MX dot was (Re: [ietf-dkim] TXT wildcards SSP issues

2007-06-05 10:15:46
Stephen,

hmmmmmmm, they way you are stating this runs against what my final impression of the issue.

I was under the impression that the NO-MAIL question was not related to POLICY but how it was related to Phillip's extremely confusing proposal,
in other words, how a NO-MAIL expectation was DISCOVERED.

I specifically asked about this and I was corrected that I must of mis-read his proposal, which I still don't understand.

My position has been that you can discovered this via SSP and others argued that you can get the same result via the LACK OF A KEY. The problem is the lack of a KEY doesn't necessarily expose the true intent and domain expectation.

I viewed it as an OPTIMIZATION concept since the ideal optimize model suggests the policy is obtained first in all cases. I believe most agreed with that, but there were a few that militantly did not want to do an SSP first but we left that to be an implementation concept.

In any case, I never felt that this POLICY EXPECTATION was removed but that you don't need to do it via a POLICY but rather lack of a key.

In fact, I gave up my work with DSAP because I felt that Jim Fenton's SSP draft covered all the bases. I told you guys this offlist.

If this was in FACT being removed, I would have never gave up on DSAP.

In any case, I wonder if people really understood what they were voting on. I hope it wasn't a typical "follow the chieftain" path.

The DKIM "Policies Concept" design MUST include a "I NEVER SIGN" or "NO SIGNATURE" domain expectation concept as a requirement. This is a fundamental protection for the otherwise unprotected DKIM-BASE signature process and now that we are discussing wild cards and sub-domains, this no-signature idea becomes even more prevalent.

--
Sincerely

Hector Santos, CTO
http://www.santronics.com