Re: MX dot was (Re: [ietf-dkim] TXT wildcards SSP issues

2007-06-06 15:05:19
Jon Callas wrote:

In short -- saying "I sign everything" with a non-existent or bogus key is the same thing as saying, "You'll never see a valid one of these."

The problem is DKIM-BASE mandate of

      'IGNORE FAILURES'

By having an implicit "NO MAIL" policy as the original SSP specs had as well as DSAP, it clearly marked the very strong policy concept of what the DOMAIN expected.

In other words, saying "I signed Everything", failed mail does not protect the domain from a exploited domain that should had NEVER been used in the first place.

If we are willing to fold the failed "I signed Everything" transactions, as a clear rejectable transaction, then you are right. It can work, but it a WEAKER statement with some "possibility" for false positive. With a NO-MAIL policy, you have 100% NO FALSE positives.

--
Sincerely

Hector Santos, CTO
http://www.santronics.com