Re: [ietf-dkim] The (really) latest SSP draft

2007-10-30 00:49:31

On Oct 27, 2007, at 8:13 AM, Dave Crocker wrote:

Patrick Peterson wrote:
I agree. RFC 4871 does not contain claims that a DKIM signature implies content is "truthful". Your intent is unclear from your question: if we are both right, is this a good thing? Or do we need to modify RFC 4871?

Discussion about raw DKIM signing sometimes seems to have the underlying view that the From field is validated as being accurate. At the least, this seems to vary among different folk. I wanted to see whether there is a clear view one way or the other.

I'm not suggesting "fixing" DKIM. I'm seeking clarity among the community. (It's a California thing.)

RFC 4871 does not provide a concise definition of what a valid signature implies, or indicate any assertion of signed content validity. Nor does RFC 4871 indicate which validations are to be applied prior to asserting the i= parameter. Either fields must be to be added to the key, or a separate policy record used in conjunction with a valid signature must be added. A policy record for a valid signature would represent additional overhead to that of a content validity policy parameter added to the key record. It seems some might be interested in introducing of a policy type parameter within the DKIM key. Some have suggested selector domain label conventions as another possible approach.

Value is obtained when a mailing list adds a DKIM signature. In such a case, few would expect the From field to always match that of the signing-domain. It would be possible to add records within the From domain that authorize a different signing-domain, while also simultaneously asserting a practice of only using authorized signing- domains. This would permit stronger, and yet more flexible policy statements aimed at restricting valid sources for a particular domain. The tpa-ssp draft scales to an astounding degree while still retaining a deterministic overhead of one or two transactions. This could introduce a safer and far more scalable third-party authorization scheme, over that of SPF. (Assuming a third-party authorization mechanism would be desired.)

The concept of delegating a portion of a DNS zone, or continuous exchanges of public keys or locations between various administrative domains seems wholly unworkable for most situations, such as mailing lists. Should DKIM erode the use of the mailing-list+ One would hope not, as mailing-lists represent a fairly practical coping mechanism in their own right.

-Doug