Re: creeping i= (was RE: [ietf-dkim] Responsibility vs. Validity)

2007-11-29 13:20:51

On Nov 29, 2007, at 12:00 PM, J D Falk wrote:

Jon Callas wisely cautioned:

It also strikes me as odd to assume that a receiver/verifier WANTS to track individual users (or user-equivalent entities) within the responsible domain.

Agreed.

That's a ton of extra work, for very little benefit (from an anti- spam point of view.)

No. With there being so many bots, it is common to find a large domain sending a fairly high level of spam. It would be helpful if there were a means to mitigate spam from such a domain without blocking the entire domain. In addition, don't forget about the replay issue.

The attack here is obvious: spammers will simply use a new i= per message, much as they rotate through every other possible identifier. So, anyone hoping to use i= to identify spammers will be forced to move back up to d=.

This is not a problem.  The domain will not be of mixed content.

As we continue thinking about this stuff, it's important to remember that methods for identifying "good" messages don't directly convert to methods for identifying "bad" messages.

The problem is being able to identify the responsible entity for having issued the spam. DKIM clearly works at the domain. It might be able to extend to the email-address when additional assurances have been made. See scope=.

-Doug