Re: [ietf-dkim] Tracing SSP's paradigm change

2007-12-05 20:11:28

Arvel Hathcock wrote:
 > Well, I reviewed the archives for the period during which i= was added
 > and could not find discussion of it.  So I'm glad to hear you've done
 > a more thorough review.  This means that you can point me to the
 > archives of the working group consideration of the issue?

I wouldn't waste any more time chasing this. Even if no such archive exists, what is that but evidence that this issue is idiosyncratic or has been deemed utterly unremarkable?

A lack of working group discussion is evidence of a lack of working group awareness and most certainly a lack of explicit working group consensus.

The use of SSP for signed messages creates a series of functional interactions that SSP's use on unsigned messages does not.

For a security protocol to skip analysis of interaction effects -- heck, for any protocol function to do this -- seems a tad unusual, particularly when it seeks to modify an existing critical infrastructure service.

The notion that "DKIM-Base is for signed mail while DKIM-SSP is for unsigned (only)" has never been thinking in accord with any draft of SSP which I remember reading or implementing. And it's clearly out of step with where we are today.

Note that <http://www.imc.org/ietf-mailsig/mail-archive/msg02252.html> refers to unsigned messages and not signed messages that do not match the From field.

d/
--

  Dave Crocker