Re: [ietf-dkim] Issue #1535: Simplify SSP decision tree

2007-12-13 08:21:51

Eliot Lear wrote:
First, I think we are far afield if we are simply arguing about whether
working group consensus is necessary but not sufficient for protocol
success.  Procedurally that is what we have to work with.  Right?

Right. We don't have to wrry about the braoder IETF community taking exception, the Security area shooting holes, or AD Discusses. And heaven knows, we don't have to worry about actually market uptake of our output or whether the protocol actually works.

More to your text above, there are many factors as to why IPv6 is not
broadly deployed.  The simplest factor, however, has nothing to do with
complexity OR functionality: it's simply cheaper to not change
operationally until it's not.

Quite a few people consider the feature-bloat of IPv6 and its incompatibility with IPv4 to have been critical barriers to adoption. Were IPv6 made a fairly minor upgrade to v4, then its initial adoption would have been a fairly minor upgrade to existing software.

We're down to a basic Occam's Razor discussion.  What functionality do
you wish to eliminate that makes the state machine simpler, and does
that make the solution to the problem we are attempting to solve simpler
than is possible (meaning are we no longer solving the problem we agreed
to solve)

Yup.  Nicely said.

One wrinkle is that it's clear different people are trying to solve different problems. This exercise is often useful to uncovering incompatible goals.

d/
--

  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking