Re: [ietf-dkim] Issue #1535: Simplify SSP decision tree

2007-12-11 21:08:53
Dave Crocker wrote:

This is a fairly complex decision tree, for an initial specification
of a new
type of protocol.

The first version of SSP that is standardized needs to have a much
shorter and simpler decision tree, if interoperable deployment is to
be achieved anytime soon after publication.

This reminds me of the famous line in the movie "Amadeus": "...there are
simply too many notes, that's all.  Just cut a few and it will be perfect."

The length of the decision algorithm (not really a tree) is determined
by the functionality that WG consensus decides upon.  If we decide to
eliminate some functionality, such as the "testing" flag, the decision
algorithm can be made simpler.  However, simplification of the decision
algorithm is not a suitable issue itself; it's something that may happen
as a result of other decisions made by the Working Group.

-1 to this as an issue.

-Jim