Re: [ietf-dkim] Accidental versus malicous error

2007-12-20 16:02:44

On Dec 20, 2007, at 10:44 AM, Michael Thomas wrote:

That would be a bad idea. I believe they changed this in the most current version, but gnu mailman -- as an example -- was stripping out DKIM signatures thinking they were doing the originating domain a favor since they "knew" that the signature would fail (which, in fact, wasn't always the case). It took quite a bit of convincing on my part that they should just leave it alone. It's not hard to understand their perspective though: they thought a broken signature would look more spammy than a missing signature. Rinse, repeat.

A mailing-list not breaking signatures is a scary idea. This would open the door for all sorts of abuse.

When a mailing-list signs using DKIM, while not modifying the From header, they should also expect verifiers to evaluate the From header signature first. Depending upon the available resources, a second evaluation of the mail-list signature may not occur. The _only_ way a mailing-list could ensure their signature is evaluated is to remove broken From signatures. Leaving these broken signatures needlessly wastes resources and looks spammy. From what you just suggested about not breaking signatures, their user's very messages might well be used to carry spam.

-Doug