Re: [ietf-dkim] Re: 99.6%

2007-12-21 21:41:01
Michael Thomas replied to Doug Otis:

What are the mitigations?

They're secret. And obvious.

Surreal.

What part of RFC4871 section 4.1 paragraph 3:

 Signers SHOULD NOT remove any DKIM-Signature header fields from
 messages they are signing, even if they know that the signatures
 cannot be verified.

is not clear?

Michael,

I see a recommendation (SHOULD NOT) there, not a requirement (MUST NOT).

Although in principle I agree with you, from a MLS designer standpoint there are engineering considerations where a strip and/or strip/replace may apply. It depends on the input and what is expected for the output to keep with protocol consistency. It depends on SSP.

Your 99.6% is impressive but also dubious since you haven't spelled out the various system parameters, processors, list configurations involved, such as:

 - What MLS software are we talking about? one or any one?

 - Are they DKIM or DKIM/SSP ready?

 - Are they resigning?

 - Where is this 99.6% verification place?  At the downlinks?

 - What munging options are enabled for the various list?

 - If mail is being munged, in particular adding subject list name
   tags, how do you get around new postings, rinse repeat,
   new postings, not responses, getting munged thus initiating the
   alteration and invalid signature?

Responses are fine for validation. The subject tag has been altered and stable now within reply messages and by using a length, you can exclude footers thus achieve a high validation. I can see that.

But I don't see how you have wide control over any original submission alteration destroying your original signature.

--
Sincerely

Hector Santos, CTO
http://www.santronics.com