Re: [ietf-dkim] Re: ISSUE 1525 -- Restriction to posting by first Author breaks email semantics

2008-01-17 12:52:55

On Jan 17, 2008, at 11:33 AM, Jim Fenton wrote:

Arvel Hathcock wrote:
Hi Jim!

Yes, but suppose that the Sender header were used only when the domain found therein matched one of those in the From. Then it would disambiguate the process allowing SSP to know precisely which of the multiple domains involved in authorship purports to be that which posts the message to the mail stream.

This would not help in cases where the Sender: domain is entirely different from any found in the From: but at least it would address the root concern found in issue 1525. That is, it could no longer be said that SSP requires the first author to be the poster (which is the meat of issue 1525) and this issue could perhaps be closed?

But we have to handle the case where the Sender: domain is entirely different as well. We can't just be silent on this case.

The requirement would be the Sender headers email-address domain must be at or above the From email-address domain's policy to be compliant with "all" or "strict". This is not being silent.

The choice of first From: domain is, as the draft notes, a largely arbitrary one. I don't have a problem with using all of the domains in the From: header field, other than whether we need to impose an artificial limit on how many SSP lookups per message we do, and how to handle the case where that is succeeded.

I do have a problem with just using Sender in the multiple From case. Sender has different semantics than From, so using From under some circumstances and Sender under other circumstances does "break" the semantics defined in RFC 2822.

Agreed.  Having the Sender domain impose policy would be problematic.

Cases in which there are multiple addresses in the From: and no Sender: are inconsistent with standardized practice and the spec could handle those just as it would messages that have no From: header at all. I don't know.

I'm not worried about what we do with messages that violate 2822. But I do want to make sure that we cover all the cases that are legal.

By only using the From domain(s) to establish policy, the MTA is free to decide about these types of RFC errors. IMHO, the identity within the i= parameter does not need to associate with any header. When the key is unrestricted, the only significant element with respect to compliance would be the d= parameter of the signature.

-Doug