[ietf-dkim] OT: 300, 000 bounces (was: 1: 1 and assertions about third parties)

2008-01-17 23:02:51
John L wrote:

Every day abuse.net gets over 300,000 bounces of spam it didn't send

It's your decision to rely *only* on BATV instead of adding SPF FAIL:
Setups suited for BATV are also suited for SPF FAIL (the opposite is
unfortunately not always true, or at least not trivial).

In addition to the 300,000 bounces you get for forged "mail from
abuse.net" there are likely millions of forged "mail from abuse.net"
making it into the inbox of unhappy users.

If getting behind a few user(_at_)alumni forwarders doesn't allow you to
publish SPF FAIL you made up your mind what's more important for you.

I don't see why anyone who doesn't already know me would take my
word for it.

Not publishing FAIL is clear, if that's abuse.net, PayPal, or GMail
doesn't matter, it means "I don't care about forged envelope sender
addresses claiming to be from me, I have other priorities".

 Frank