RE: [ietf-dkim] Seriously.

2008-01-23 08:55:25
I'mnot sure I'm comfortable with your explanation of case 1. You may or
may not consider the party you are authenticating as being trustworthy.
You may not even have enough information to make that decision. The
generic description of this case is that you have a claim of
responsibility from a party and you are authenticating (through the DKIM
query to DNS) that their signature does indeed match (or does not).

If the signature matches then the trustworthiness of the party can be
considered.

With regard to the indicated party having a mail sending policy, I still
maintain that if the sender domain is not the same as the from domain
there is a significant issue and subsequent risk. Because there does not
have to be any trust relationship or authorization indicated by the From
address for the sender adddress, this leads to the potential for cross
domain attacks that would potentially degrade the effectiveness of DKIM
checking by receivers. This is very similar to an issue (one that I have
not seen commonly discussed) that exists for PRA (with regard to sender)
in SIDF.

If there were a way for domain owners to indicate authorized 3rd party
signers (whether sender field or simply 3rd parties) through SSP, this
might be useful. That is, I sign my mail but if you receive mail signed
by (for example) smallbusiness._domainkey.constantcontact.com. IN TXT
and they sign it then that is ok too.

Now we have a clear link between the from field domain authorizing mail
sent by sender field domain which is signed by sender field domain. Does
this address all sender cases? Absolutely not. Does it address some
potentially useful and significant ones.... possibly. Consider a
business which wishes to allow it's law firm to send and sign mail on
it's behalf. This is just a quick example but I thinkit illustrates the
point. We now have a confidence level that sender really is sending on
behalf of from.

Mike