RE: [ietf-dkim] Seriously.

2008-01-22 10:26:29
From: ietf-dkim-bounces(_at_)mipassoc(_dot_)org
[mailto:ietf-dkim-bounces(_at_)mipassoc(_dot_)org] On Behalf Of Hallam-Baker,
Phillip
Sent: Tuesday, January 22, 2008 11:26 AM
To: Barry Leiba; ietf-dkim(_at_)mipassoc(_dot_)org
Subject: RE: [ietf-dkim] Seriously.

I think this whole discussion (and most on the list) come from a
failure to consider DKIM in the context of a system.

Agreed

There are two questions that you can answer with a DKIM like
specification:

I would phrase the questions slightly differently

1) Is there an authentic claim of responsibility from a trustworthy
party?

Can I authenticate a claim of responsibility from a party (that party
may or may not be trustworthy but I can authenticate they are making the
claim)?

2) Is there an authentic claim of origin from an identified party?

Is the identified party the originator of the message and can I
authenticate them as such?

A claim of responsibility is not the same as a claim of origin. If all
you want to do is to whitelist email for spam control
purposes you simply do not care if the signer of the email is the
originating party in any sense (author, employer, etc.). The multiple
from issues is irrelevant.

Agreed

If you do care about authenticated origin the RFC 822 headers are
frankly irrelevant. The only claim(s) of origin you care
about are those that are authenticated. If you have multiple From and
only one is
authenticated then you are only going
to tread that one as authenticated for purposes where you require
authentication. If all the From addresses are
authenticated then you are fine.

Agreed except that the Sender field should not be used unless it is in
the same domain as (authenticated) From.

Mike