Re: [ietf-dkim] A proposal for restructuring SSP

2008-01-28 11:11:17
John Levine wrote:
I will state <LOUDLY> that without the ability to handle 3rd party
signing statements, SSP is useless to me.</LOUDLY>

You know that hasn't been in any of the drafts, don't you?

I have no idea what you are thinking John, but all the POLICY I-D drafts, starting with the original SSP-00, the derivative DSAP, and the updated SSP-01, all had information regarding 3rd party signing expectations and controls.

Starting with SSP-00, it had the explicit policies:

   o=~  NEUTRAL (signature optional, 3rd party allowed)
   o=-  STRONG  (signature required, 3rd party allowed)
   o=!  EXCLUSIVE (signature required, no 3rd party)
   o=.  NEVER or NOMAIL (no mail expected)
   o=^  USER
   o=?  WEAK (signature optional, no third party, PROPOSED)

Quite often, some of the best ideas are the initial ones!!

With all the discussions, a derivative draft called DSAP was written focusing on the security and protocol consistency of DKIM:

   From the viewpoint of the verifier, when a message is received, there
   are two basic pieces of signature information to be of interest when
   analyzing the transaction:

   o  Original Party Signatures (OP)

      *  never expected
      *  always expected
      *  optional

   o  3rd Party Signatures (3P)

      *  never expected
      *  always expected
      *  optional

   When the two signature types are combines, the possible policies are
   listed in this following table:

    +=================================================================+
    | op=         | 3p=        | Domain Policy Semantics              |
    |=================================================================|
    | empty       | empty      | No mail expected                     |
    | never       | never      | No signing expected                  |
    | never       | always     | Only 3P signing expected             |
    | never       | optional   | Only 3P signing optional             |
    | always      | never      | OP signature expected                |
    | always      | always     | Both parties expected                |
    | always      | optional   | OP expected, 3P may sign             |
    | optional    | never      | Only OP signing expected             |
    | optional    | always     | OP expected, 3P expected             |
    | optional    | optional   | Both parties may sign.               |

These cover all possibilities from what could be expected.

SSP-01 was written and reduced/folded its policies to include:

   DKIM=STRICT

which specifically targets unexpected 3rd party signatures.

--
Sincerely

Hector Santos, CTO
http://www.santronics.com