Re: [ietf-dkim] Issue 1550 - the name of the document (remains open *briefly*); there's still disagreement on "Author"

2008-03-13 19:14:30
Are there any current implementations of asp in the wild?

Yes, mine is one.  There may be others, but I've not heard of any.

Disclaimer:  this is just my own approach on how I've handled this issue - your
mileage may vary.

Back in early November 2007, MDaemon 9.63 was released which included a full
implementation of the then current SSP draft (well, it was the one that changed
to _ssp and dkim=unknown/strict/all etc).  We also updated our open source
library for the same.  I simply documented in my release notes what to change
in DNS to turn old records into new ones and instructed customers that they
would have to do this themselves.

In fact, that version of MDaemon dropped support entirely for the older SSP and
included some commentary to the effect that I was hopeful we were close to a
final SSP (turns out we weren't at that time but that's fine).  I further
warned my customers in the same release notes that work on SSP continues
(meaning more changes were likely).

I think this approach is good enough in my case because although I have been
overly optimistic at times concerning our progress I have nevertheless been
warning my customers that SSP is contentious (much MUCH more so than BASE) and
thus likely to go through several revisions.  I've sort of smoothed this over
by reminding customers that they were helping the process by using the various
incarnations and reporting on any technical failings.  So far, I've not been
flooded with complaints other than "you people hurry up and get this done
already" which is to be expected.

I plan to take the same approach when moving from _ssp/dkim=unknown/strict/all
to whatever the final draft requires.

Arvel