Re: [ietf-dkim] New issue: overview doc mentions signing policies, but leaves us hanging

2008-03-18 21:07:15
JD,

My own view is that it's problematic to refer to what isn't, what is underway,
or what might be.  It invites extraneous hassles, when there is no need. The
one
exception might be to constrain scope, such as is done in the list at the end
of
1.1.

Further, I think the agreement in the working group was to add more discussion
about signing practices when they are approved by the IESG.

So I guess my question to you is:  Why?  What is the important benefit in
adding
this "nothing has been done yet" statement.  (Well, ok, maybe my choice of
descriptive words is a bit strong, but at least there's no doubt about why I
think it shouldn't be added...)

d/

J D Falk wrote:
Suggested addition to third paragraph of section 2.2:

   An organization might build upon its use of DKIM by publishing
   information about its Signing Practices (SP).  This could permit
   detecting some messages that purport to be associated with a domain,
   but which are not.  As such, an SP can cause the trust assessment to
   be reduced, or leave it unchanged.  [As of the date of publication of
   this document, a standard method for publishing these Signing
   Practices had not yet been finalized.]

--
J.D. Falk
Receiver Products