Re: [ietf-dkim] Practices protocol naming poll (Closing issue 1550)

2008-03-20 19:30:59

Sandy Wills wrote:
  >    A particular internet message may have 17 people all claiming to be
"author", and we may not be able to determine who actually wrote it (who
or where the message is really "from"), but it was created as an SMTP
message somewhere, and, after many steps it got released into the wild
and sent to my incoming server by an unknown box or process.  I can
reasonably call that box or process the "sender".

A message has 7 sources of information that are variously referred to as
describing where a message came "from".  One of those sources
(rfc2822.Received)
can be repeated and one (rfc2822.from) may have multiple values.

Exactly which value of exactly which field or command are you referring to?

And how does your desire related to the current *SP specification, which
explicitly calls for using the value(s) in the rfc2822.From field?

   I'd also like to see the words "Domain", "Message" and "Policy" but
I'll settle for "Sender Signing Practices" if that makes everyone else
happy.

Since the word "sender" is demonstrably ambiguous, why do you prefer it?

d/
--

   Dave Crocker
   Brandenburg InternetWorking