Re: [ietf-dkim] Overview and Signing vs. Practices (was Re: New Issue: Discussion of assessments in Selector Construct section)

2008-03-26 01:11:51

Jim Fenton wrote:
Dave Crocker wrote:
I don't understand.  What is there in the DKIM signing protocol that
requires the author adress to "follow suit"?

Not in the signing protocol, but in ADSP.  If an email with a From
address of, say, statements(_at_)example(_dot_)com is signed with
d=transaction.example.com then the signature cannot be an Author
Signature.

I thought we had agreed to defer having the Overview document talk
abut the Signing Practices material until it is standardized?

Notwithstanding the fact that the Overview Document does currently talk
about Signing Practices, we should avoid giving advice that we expect to
conflict with Signing Practices, even without mentioning them explicitly.

Hmm.  Well, yeah, -overview does make reference to signing practices a number
of
times, albeit in generic and conceptual terms.

If there is text already there that you believe is giving advice we expect to
conflict with Signing Practices, what text is that, precisely and how does it
conflict with what we expect?

Apologies if you've already indicated these details, but I've lost track.

d/
--

   Dave Crocker
   Brandenburg InternetWorking