Re: [ietf-dkim] New Issue: The term identity in the overview

2008-03-31 14:40:58
Eliot Lear wrote:

Jeff Macdonald wrote:
The only thing that worries me is someone will tie their reputation
system to the identity instead of the identifier. There is lots of
advice for a company (an identity) to put different types of mail
streams on different IPs. So logically one would use different DKIM
identifiers to accomplish the same thing with DKIM.

I wouldn't worry so much.  For one thing, one cannot so easily
programmatically determine an identity.  One can say that an identity
owns an identifier and perhaps can show some authoritative proof of
binding, but it's just plain difficult to do the reverse.  And I say
this as someone who would like to, quite frankly.  But this gets us
into Wendy Seltzer territory.  Let's not go there.

+1

We should not let forward progress be halted by the possibility that
someone might establish an entirely-internal-to-them policy that some of
us might disagree with.