Re: [ietf-dkim] Are subdomains like parent domains?

2008-04-29 07:56:30
On 29 Apr 2008 00:25:26 -0000, John Levine <johnl(_at_)iecc(_dot_)com> wrote:
But I have to say, without any sort of domain blanket/coverage
option, it seems like something is really missing here.

I'm seeing an implicit assumption that if someone has an opinion about
mail from foo.com, they will have a similar opinion of mail from
subdomains a.foo.com or a.b.foo.com, or a.b.c.foo.com.  I've been
thinking about the mail I actually see, and I am having great
difficulty finding even a small set of real life scenarios where that
is true.

Forgive me if we're going in circles, as it's not my intent.

I think I am not looking for an implicit assumption to have the same
opinion about a.b.foo.com. I am thinking of how, as a sender, can I
sign and allow (by actively providing the ability to denote good mail
signed as) foo.com or a.foo.com but prevent the use of (by actively
encouraging filter or reject of) beans.rice.a.foo.com. The latter
being a faked subdomain used by a phisher. So I don't know that it'll
be beans.rice.a.foo.com. It could be plants.animals.a.foo.com today
and tacos.burritos.a.foo.com tomorrow. Out of my control.

Help me understand the best way to handle that, and I think you'll
have me on board.

(Replace foo.com with BigEarthBank.com and you'll get a better
understanding of why I care. These are the people I work with.)

Regards,
Al

--
Al Iverson on Spam and Deliverability, see http://www.spamresource.com