Re: [ietf-dkim] "interoperability"???

2008-05-01 15:29:20
Jim Fenton wrote:
Hinestly, I struggled a bit with whether to use the term
interoperability there.

The point I'm trying to make is that the normative text should be
sufficient for different implementations to return the same result under
the same test conditions.  If we were to have an ADSP "bake-off", one of
the test conditions might be to report the result when given a
non-existent domain.

I think that this is a valid test case, and that implementations should
produce the same result.

So your issue is with wanting to ensure that different implementations use the
result of the test in the same way.

Assuming I now do understand your point, I think my original question is fully
answered.  Thanks.

However...

I still find myself not understanding how any of this makes a difference to
the real-world utility of ADSP.

For example, let's say that a receiver chooses either not to do the NXDomain
test or chooses to process the result differently than the document specificies.

Exactly what terrible outcome does this produce?

d/

--

   Dave Crocker
   Brandenburg InternetWorking