Re: [ietf-dkim] forward movement, please? (was RE: Are lookalike domains like parent domains?)

2008-05-01 17:03:45

On May 1, 2008, at 3:31 PM, Arvel Hathcock wrote:

Text which states that ADSP is to be applied only to Author
Domains  which _actually exist in DNS_ would suffice since there's
only one way to determine whether that condition is meet.

Sorry, to clarify, the "one way" I'm talking about is: doing a DNS
lookup.  I realize there are many different types of lookups (MX/A,
etc) that _could_ be done.  All we care is that one is performed so
we have NXDOMAIN (or not).

Publishing ADSP should mandate MX records be published when the domain
intends to receive email.  By making this mandate, not finding an MX
record will prevent subsequent transactions attempting to retrieve
policy records.   Such a convention reduces the amount of undesired
traffic for domains not involved with SMTP.

-Doug