Re: [ietf-dkim] Consensus check: Domain Existence Check

2008-05-29 07:51:25

On May 29, 2008, at 2:45 AM, Stephen Farrell wrote:

There has been considerable debate in the past few weeks regarding the
need for a check for domain existence in ADSP.

I think we've had sufficient time for debating this, let's decide.
Please respond to this by Friday June 6th.

The text in question (from section 4.2.2 of draft-ietf-dkim-ssp-03)
is as follows:

  2.  _Verify Domain Exists._ The host MUST perform a DNS query for a
      record corresponding to the Author Domain (with no prefix).  The
      type of the query can be of any type, since this step is only to
      determine if the domain itself exists in DNS.  This query MAY be
      done in parallel with the query made in step 2.  If the result
of
      this query is an "NXDOMAIN" error, the algorithm MUST terminate
      with an appropriate error.

         NON-NORMATIVE DISCUSSION: Any resource record type could be
         used for this query since the existence of a resource record
         of any type will prevent an "NXDOMAIN" error.  MX is a
         reasonable choice for this purpose is because this record
type
         is thought to be the most common for likely domains, and will
         therefore result in a result which can be more readily cached
         than a negative result.

There are three options that have been actively discussed:

Modify.

(I might be talked into "keep", but "remove" would be a complete
non-starter.)

Cheers,
   Steve