Re: [ietf-dkim] Consensus check: Domain Existence Check

2008-05-29 09:38:31
modify (though I only slightly prefer that to keep)

Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 10:45:22 +0100> From:
stephen(_dot_)farrell(_at_)cs(_dot_)tcd(_dot_)ie> To:
ietf-dkim(_at_)mipassoc(_dot_)org> Subject: [ietf-dkim] Consensus check:
Domain Existence Check> > > There has been considerable debate in the past
few weeks regarding the> need for a check for domain existence in ADSP.> > I
think we've had sufficient time for debating this, let's decide.> Please
respond to this by Friday June 6th.> > The text in question (from section
4.2.2 of draft-ietf-dkim-ssp-03)> is as follows:> > 2. _Verify Domain
Exists._ The host MUST perform a DNS query for a> record corresponding to the
Author Domain (with no prefix). The> type of the query can be of any type,
since this step is only to> determine if the domain itself exists in DNS.
This query MAY be> done in parallel with the query made in step 2. If the
result of> this query is an "NXDOMAIN" error, the algorithm MUST terminate>
with an appropriate error.> > NON-NORMATIVE DISCUSSION: Any resource record
type could be> used for this query since the existence of a resource record>
of any type will prevent an "NXDOMAIN" error. MX is a> reasonable choice for
this purpose is because this record type> is thought to be the most common
for likely domains, and will> therefore result in a result which can be more
readily cached> than a negative result.> > There are three options that have
been actively discussed:> > a. Keep. Retain the current text as-is.> > b.
Modify, i.e. keep, but with a different set of records. It was> suggested
that the current NXDOMAIN is incorrect, and that MX, A, and> AAAA records for
the domain should be queried, with the existence of> any of these records
indicating a domain that is potentially used for> email. If we have consensus
for this option, then we may well need a> subsequent poll to decide the
details.> > c. Remove. Remove the text as being out of scope for the ADSP>
specification. Some text may need to be added pointing out the need for> a
domain existence check elsewhere. If the consensus is for removal,> then we
should consider what, if anything, the specification should> refer to for
performing the domain existence check.> > Please just answer "keep",
"modify", or "remove" in this thread, and use> a different subject line for
any discussion.> > Thanks,> Stephen.> > > > >
operates according to > http://mipassoc.org/dkim/ietf-list-rules.html