Re: [ietf-dkim] Fwd: Re: Discussion of Consensus check: Domain Existence Check

2008-06-20 07:20:49

On Jun 20, 2008, at 4:18 AM, Stephen Farrell wrote:

Charles Lindsey wrote:
On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 22:09:58 +0100, Douglas Otis
<dotis(_at_)mail-abuse(_dot_)org

wrote:

On Jun 18, 2008, at 2:43 AM, Charles Lindsey wrote:

With urgency being expressed by the chairs, it does not appear
there is time to resolve which non-DNS domains should or should
not be ignored.  Clearly this is work independent of ADSP anyway.

I would suggest all that is needed in the present draft is a
statement that the existence check MAY be omitted in the case of
TLDs that are known not to exist in the global DNS system,

I guess I'm not seeing any support for this, so if folks do want to
include it,  then they ought say so. Otherwise, I think this thread
should be done,

The issue of checking domain existence directly impacts SMTP
interoperability in many situations.  How do you see this being
handled in the draft, other than to say checking for domain existence
will impact SMTP interoperability?  Should we follow Charles advice
and add "Please review RFC2606 partial list and be aware some other
email-address domains may not exist within DNS, where not having DNS
entries or by bridging protocols into SMTP may place those messages in
peril."  In addition, this requirement may cause SMTP to become
dysfunctional whenever DNS for a domain becomes unavailable.  Up until
the ADSP DNS existence requirement, local host entries for crucial
systems could have permitted continued operation.

Although difficult, this remains a serious issue where related impacts
can not be safely ignored.  What is currently being proposed does not
appear adequate.

-Doug