Re: [ietf-dkim] draft Errata on RFC 4871

2009-01-27 11:13:16
On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 9:30 PM, Jeff Macdonald
<jmacdonald(_at_)e-dialog(_dot_)com> wrote:
you lost me Suresh. It seemed like you were saying that i= would be
useful for different streams or groups of identities but then you say
"often irrelevant".

I believe what i= means is irrelevant from the perspective of a
receiver, but it does denote that something is different than a
straight d= value. Is that your thinking too?

Does my followup email (which I just sent) clarify things better?

i= values MAY denote something different from a straight d= value, and
when there's a shared understanding of the i= values, and of the
underlying reputation model, d= will generally amount to sum(i= 1..n)

But i= is entirely useless and, more importantly, untrustable without
some out of band trust worked out - either through a reputation vendor
certifying the i=, or through mutual contact (such as your setting up
a feedback loop with an ISP that bases its loop on dkim, and then
telling them what your signing policies are)

--srs