Re: [ietf-dkim] draft Errata on RFC 4871

2009-01-27 12:49:01
I don't think I've made any such specific reference, since I agree that
the examples you give are contrary to the definition in the spec.

It is already common practice for operators to segment their outbound
traffic to avoid filtering issues.  I expect them to apply similar
segmentations with DKIM.

The exact manner in which they should do that is what we need to agree
on.

If I choose to segment my signing based on my own assessment of the
user, as I do now with outbound ip addresses, then I would probably make
that a subdomain in d= (d=assessment.example.com).  If I also choose to
specify an i= value, then that segmentation will spill over giving us
something like i=user(_at_)assessment(_dot_)example(_dot_)com(_dot_)  If my
assessment of that
user changes, then the i= value will change as well.  So, i= does
contain the identity of the user but is not necessarily a stable value.

-----Original Message-----
From: ietf-dkim-bounces(_at_)mipassoc(_dot_)org
[mailto:ietf-dkim-bounces(_at_)mipassoc(_dot_)org] On Behalf Of Tony Hansen
Sent: Tuesday, January 27, 2009 12:13 PM
Cc: DKIM IETF WG
Subject: Re: [ietf-dkim] draft Errata on RFC 4871

I think Suresh (and possibly Mike) are advocating a different sort of
model for i= that I (and I think many others) have for it.

They appear to be ignoring one part of the i= definition

        Identity of the user or agent (e.g., a mailing list manager) on
        behalf of which this message is signed

and that's the word "identity". They seem to be replacing it with what
appears to be an "assessment of the identity" as provided by someone
else. Hence their references to i=good(_at_)aol(_dot_)com,
i=coi(_at_)aol(_dot_)com, etc. This
is contrary to the spec.

I fully expect the i= value, if it is present, to represent the identity
of that user/agent. If a signer does not >>know<< the identity of that
agent, I don't expect there to be a value for i=. If you don't >>know<<
the user/agent identity, you cannot and must not put in a value for i=.
If all you have is a gut feeling for the user/agent identity, you cannot
and must not put in a value for i=. If you're a mail relayer, or a mail
gateway, you cannot and must not put in a value for i=.

The i= value can be opaque, but if it is present, most certainly is not
irrelevant.

        Tony Hansen
        tony(_at_)att(_dot_)com

Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:
On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 9:30 PM, Jeff Macdonald