Re: [ietf-dkim] [dkim unverified] Re: New version - draft-ietf-dkim-rfc4871-errata-01

2009-02-03 18:49:38
Eliot Lear wrote:

Dave CROCKER wrote:

Generally, the changes dealt with:

Sorry, forgot an important item:

    3.  Changed section 6.3 and Appendix D references to be to SDID (d=)

Since the new consensus appears to be that i= has semantics that are entirely
undefined, it does not seem possible that the wg would advise showing it to an
end user.

Further to my earlier message about clarifying the interoperability problem, if the above statement is really the case, why not remove i= entirely?  We are already rather strongly warned about its use in RFC 4871.  So, what is its remaining value?

While i= is currently optional, when it is present its value must meet certain requirements, that the "domain part" MUST be the same as or (normally) a subdomain of the d= value.  Removing mention of i= in the spec would imply that an i= with an arbitrary value could be added, which would create interoperability problems with current implementations that enforce the present wording.  I believe that enforcement was even a part of the interoperability tests some time back.

Just remember that i= is optional, and leave it at that.

-Jim