Re: [ietf-dkim] Author Signature vs. Author Domain Signature / Internal vs External threats

2009-04-02 13:28:57
DKIM is about domains, not email addresses.  And that's all ADSP should be.
Using i= encourages this cofusion.  Using "Author Signature" rather than
"Author
Domain Signature" also encourages it.

Indeed.
As I recall, when we started this, both pre-IETF and bringing it into
the IETF, one goal was to allow, in the architecture, extension to
individual authors... but *not* to deal with individual authors at
this stage.  It was, in fact, one (of several) of the arguments about
why we couldn't just use S/MIME.

If the domain owner cannot exert enough administrative control, to keep
signatures for mailing lists separate from signatures for authors, then that's
the owner's problem.  It shouldn't be the receivers.

I agree.

Barry (participant)