Re: [ietf-dkim] Author Signature vs. Author Domain Signature / Internal vs External threats

2009-04-02 14:41:37
Dave, I agree with all your comments here. +1, +1, +1, +1000, +1.

However, two comments:

1) I find it hard to believe, well, shocking, that we have gone around
in circles just to come back to what the DKIM specification always
was. It was always about the domain. We used terms as the originating
domain.  The only tie-in to the local part was the From: header
binding in the hash.  Then the word game began.......

2) I still have a concern with what I feel is a mindset that middle
ware (namely mailing list server) can do what they please.  I think
there are key people here that honestly believe this ASDP is all for
nothing - waste of time because it does not jive well with the mailing
list.  I always feel ADSP was too watered down by removing the the
domain authorization to explicit expose a 3rd party signing allowance.
   IMO, that is the reason we had this issue with d= and i=, and
semantics of who signs what.

I think the often repeated point that domains need to take
responsibility about how they will begin to use DKIM, especially those
that want to use policies, is important. It is their problem. Yet by
the same token. this also means the mailing list server needs to be
more careful about signing mail as well.

For example, for our mail list server, there are three key software
change considerations for DKIM + POLICY:

    - subscription, adding to a packages existing subscription
      confirmation a subscribing domain ADSP check for DKIM=ALL
      and DISCARDABLE policies.  The software SHOULD reject this
      subscriptions to protect the domain.

    - Periodic scanning the accounts to send notifications about
      ADSP protected domains that exist in the database.

    - Provide per member options such as:

         [_] Please don't sign my mail

The last one are for people who do not, nor wish to participate in
supporting DKIM for whatever reason they might have.  I can forsee
issues just like I have now with your list server "blinding" signing
my mail as a 3rd party.  Out of laziness I have not unsubscribed yet
but I should do so soon and just use my junk gmail.com account.

This is another reason why I think the lost of the "I NEVER SIGN"
policy was a negative direction.  Until people are ready to sign, some
domains will find it useful to add some reason that tells the
receivers "Look, don't expect any signature from us, so if you see
one, discard it."   Someone said, I think it was Eric, "Just add a
NULL public key."   But when I repeated that here a few months ago,
others said say "that won't work"  :-(

Other than that, +1.

Dave CROCKER wrote:

Jim Fenton wrote:
     The correct test case is:

From someone(_at_)foo(_dot_)example
Valid signature from ietf-examples(_at_)foo(_dot_)example
At this point, the mailing list manager would normally sign the
message.  Let's examine this with the i= and d= choices:

Using i= as the basis for Author Signature, the list can sign the
message, and the eventual verifier/assessor that does an ADSP check will
see that it (still) lacks an Author Signature since
ietf-examples(_at_)foo(_dot_)example does not match
someone(_at_)foo(_dot_)example(_dot_)

Using d= as the basis for Author Signature, if the list signs the
message, an eventual verifier/assessor will erroneously see that
signature as an Author Signature, and therefore might not give the
message the desired treatment.

I think there are two sources of confusion for this round of ADSP discussion.

The first is that the term "Author Signature" encourages one to think that
DKIM
is used to sign with the full author email address, rather than with the
/domain/ of the author's address.  We fixed that error in the name of the
document, but forgot to carry it through to the details of the spec.

DKIM is about domains, not email addresses.  And that's all ADSP should be.
Using i= encourages this cofusion.  Using "Author Signature" rather than
"Author
Domain Signature" also encourages it.

The second is whether a receiver should be asked to enforce controls for
usage
by folks /within/ the originating domain's span of control.  It's one thing
worry about unauthorized use by someone /outside/ of the owning domain's
control, but quite another to ask a receiving system to help keep the owning
domain's own house clean.

If the domain owner cannot exert enough administrative control, to keep
signatures for mailing lists separate from signatures for authors, then
that's
the owner's problem.  It shouldn't be the receivers.

The same applies for one author vs. another, within the same domain.

The specification and semantics of ADSP get simpler, cleaner and properly
scoped, when d= is used.  Using i= really does invite a complex of issues
that
should be outside the scope of DKIM and ADSP.

Use d=.

d/

ps.  That includes dropping the "ADSP is incompatible" note.

--
Sincerely

Hector Santos