Re: [ietf-dkim] Update of RFC4871 Appendix D. MUA Considerations (resent)

2009-04-07 18:01:12
I agree with Doug's point here.  The problem is that the more I think
about it, the more I think it's a mistake for us to put MUA advice
into the standards-track documents, and I'm inclined, rather, to want
to remove what's there rather than to change it.

I couldn't agree more.

Honestly, it's hard to think of a group worse qualified to offer MUA
advice than we are.  As far as I know, none of us has any particular
expertise or experience UI design, and I suspect that we use a totally
arcane and atypical set of MUAs.  How many of us use an MUA that shows
the From: comment in preference to the address, after all?  Probably
the majority of e-mail users do.

I don't know much about UI design, but I do know that there's a lot of
superficially plausible ideas that turn out to be really bad, with the
most obvious being to pop up a warning every time there's a suspicious
message.  All that'll do is repeat Microsoft's mistake and train users
to hit OK every time since most of them would be false alarms.

We have plenty to do within our range of expertise, so please let's
avoid wasting time outside it.

R's,
John