Re: [ietf-dkim] DKIM adoption

2009-08-02 07:41:55
You half-joke, but one of the arguments we presented to the FTC back in 2003
or so regarding spam was that we had an opportunity to regulate issuance of
domain names. If not regulate, then at least insist on an identifiable legal
entity being required to register a domain.

Without going into the rococo nightmare that is ICANN politics, forget it.
Beyond the fact that ICANN has no interest in making it harder to register
domains (other than perhaps via incremental price increases), they only
set the rules for generic TLDs, three letters and longer, not two-letter
country code TLDs.

The Joint Project Agreement with the US government isn't going away any
time soon, and the US government has always been in favor of more
accountability, e.g., the .US domain forbids proxy registrations, but it's
political problem due to privacy laws in the EU and Canada protecting
domains that at least claim to be registered by individuals.

R's,
John