Re: [ietf-dkim] DKIM adoption

2009-08-03 15:21:45
On 08/03/2009 11:01 AM, Mark Delany wrote:
On Aug 3, 2009, at 10:31 AM, Douglas Otis wrote:

On 8/2/09 1:06 AM, Mark Delany wrote:
On Aug 1, 2009, at 9:14 PM, Franck Martin wrote:

But is ICANN supposed to clean all these random valid domains?
You half-joke, but one of the arguments we presented to the FTC
back in
2003 or so regarding spam was that we had an opportunity to regulate
issuance of domain names. If not regulate, then at least insist on an
identifiable legal entity being required to register a domain.
Rather than viewing control of a domain as indicative of good email
behavior, positive reputations based upon histories of DKIM
signatures could offer an alternative or enhancement to methods
currently used in the disposition of messages.

That's entirely orthogonal and nothing new. My point was something
stronger and different from "reputation", namely something
jurisdictional; can I find (and sue) the owner of the domain on the
DKIM signature?

I think that it's larger than that: Given a domain name, what can we
educe from it?

1) who the registrant?
    o how long has it been around
    o etc, etc
2) who is the registrar?
    o how hard is it to mass-enroll domains?
    o are they known to turn a blind eye to spammers?

etc, etc. That is, start looking up the food chain for bad behavior.
Until there are negative consequences, registrars will take the free
if smelly money. What can we do to create a negative consequence?

        Mike