Re: [ietf-dkim] Proposed new charter

2010-03-01 16:42:21
On 3/1/10 1:24 AM, Dave CROCKER wrote:
This is perhaps more relevant to a discussion about interoperability testing,
but I thought it worth raising also for the next round of specification, etc.
work:

     Do we know whether DKIM works IDNs?  If not, what should we do about that?

Not only will DKIM need to contend with RFC 3490 and RFC 3492 conventions for puny-code, but also conditionally apply RFC 5242 and Unicode Technical Report #36, http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr36/ rule sets. The SMTP experimental conventions established by RFC 5336 expects these fields are handled by humans. Input would represent UTF-8 and not Puny-code. While IDN for DNS must be converted to xn--<puny-code> form, friendly displays in email will likely need to be in UTF-8.

With respect to problems for DKIM, it would seem downgrade (Alt-Address) operation might cause DKIM signatures to be declared non-compliant with ADSP.

-Doug