Re: [ietf-dkim] IDNs, was Proposed new charter

2010-03-03 07:57:39

On 3/3/2010 9:47 PM, Barry Leiba wrote:
is "no" because IDNs themselves don't really work today, as a practical
matter, in the context of email.  What is clear is that folks from DKIM
need to track and perhaps influence EAI.

Does this, then, turn into another item on the new charter?
"Work with the EAI working group to ensure that DKIM and EAI work well
together." ?

Maybe other folk are tracking this, but I'm now confused.

DKIM does not affect other email header-fields, other than doing a hash on
them.
  For example, DKIM has nothing to do with any of the address fields, whereas I
believe that is EAI's focus.

Since DKIM has /lots/ to do with a domain name (in d=, most importantly), it
really does have to pay attention to IDNA.  But I am not understanding how DKIM
relates to the EAI work.

Eliot, can you clarify?

And if you still believe we need to work with the EAI wg, can you clarify what
that might/should entail and, for that matter, whether we wind up fate-sharing
with them?  And if yes, then doesn't the difficult history of the EAI work make
it likely we will share the difficulty?

d/

--

   Dave Crocker