Re: [ietf-dkim] Don't do that, was IDNs, was Proposed new charter

2010-03-03 11:50:09
From: Eliot Lear <lear(_at_)klapsmühle(_dot_)ch>

What is the right conversion?

There isn't any.  Until we have EAI standards, there is no way to
represent non-ASCII characters in e-mail addresses in a standards
compliant mail message.

Some years ago we had a modest flame fest about how to sign a message
body that contains bare CR or LF characters.  The answer was "don't do
that", since DKIM signatures only apply to valid 822/2822/5322
messages.  This is the same issue.

I entirely realize that for the large majority of the world that
writes its names in non-ASCII characters, this is a gaping hole which
has provoked a variety of more or less sound and more or less
incompatible workarounds.  But it's one that EAI has to solve for all
e-mail, not one to which we can unilaterally apply a band-aid in DKIM.

R's,
John