Re: [ietf-dkim] Clarifying DKIM (etc.) expectations for mailing lists in the face of digests

2010-08-04 16:03:41
There's a scenario where a spammer/phisher sets up a mailing list,
adds a bunch of addresses to the list and then sends a message with a
paypal.com From: address through the list. The DKIM signature will
obviously be invalid, but a MTA/spam filter won't be able to decide
whether this is because the message didn't really come from Paypal,
or because it did but the mailing list broke it.

I don't see how this poses any new problems.

If you believe in ADSP or manual drop lists, you drop the message
because it's from paypal.com and it's unsigned.  I think we can expect
that we won't see any real paypal.com mail coming through lists.

Otherwise, it's just spam.  Does anyone treat List-ID: or other list
headers as a not-spam indicator unless it's from a list that you have
reason to think has local subscribers?  I certainly don't.

R's,
John