Re: [ietf-dkim] Straw poll results

2010-08-09 13:46:02
You're assuming that how end-users sort list messages is the same
as how DKIM verifiers might operate on list messages. Is that a
good assumption? Or do you mean something else when you say
"sort"?

I suppose I could go back and specifically ask people how their spam
filters handle list mail as opposed to how they sort it, but I'd be rather
surprised if the answers were different.  We're pretty high end users
here, in my case the filtering and the sorting are intermixed and I doubt
I'm the only one in that situation.

My point is simple: everyone handles mail from lists using the identity of
the list, not the identity of the contributor.  Despite three decades of
experience with mailing lists, arguments to the contrary say "someone
might" rather than "we do".*

I hope we all agree that it is a waste of our time to design complicated
mechanisms to solve problems that don't actually exist.

R's,
John

* - well, other than Steve A who said he sometimes does but he doesn't
need signatures to do so