Re: [ietf-dkim] Straw poll results

2010-08-09 15:00:06
John R. Levine wrote:
You're assuming that how end-users sort list messages is the same
as how DKIM verifiers might operate on list messages. Is that a
good assumption? Or do you mean something else when you say
"sort"?

I suppose I could go back and specifically ask people how their spam
filters handle list mail as opposed to how they sort it, but I'd be rather
surprised if the answers were different.  We're pretty high end users
here, in my case the filtering and the sorting are intermixed and I doubt
I'm the only one in that situation.

My point is simple: everyone handles mail from lists using the identity of
the list, not the identity of the contributor.

Why do you simplify handling of list mail to sorting and filtering,
ignoring two other important list handling activities:

1. reading mail
2. responding to mail

In both activities the From address (and possibly other fields like
Reply-To and Sender) plays an important role. From a recipients point of
view I'm not interested in what path the mail of John has travelled to
my Inbox. And maybe the question boils down to what is DKIM: are we only
interested to asap jump from DKIM to domain reputation, or do we also
see the domain assertion statement in the DKIM spec:

<quote>
   The ultimate goal of this framework is to permit
   a signing domain to assert responsibility for a message, thus
   protecting message signer identity and the integrity of the messages
   they convey while retaining the functionality of Internet email as it
   is known today.
</quote>

Despite three decades of
experience with mailing lists, arguments to the contrary say "someone
might" rather than "we do".*

I hope we all agree that it is a waste of our time to design complicated
mechanisms to solve problems that don't actually exist.

I fully agree.

/rolf