Re: [ietf-dkim] Straw poll results

2010-08-09 18:33:45
On Monday, August 09, 2010 06:52:04 pm Steve Atkins wrote:
On Aug 9, 2010, at 3:13 PM, Scott Kitterman wrote:
This assumes mail from MLMs is treated differently than other mail.
While individual users may (and probably do) treat it differently,
receivers of non- trivial scale don't and can't.

I agree, in general.

One implication of that is that if you're planning to do something with
email that will break if there's a MLM involved, it's broken[1].

Cheers,
  Steve

[1] We could call this "The SRS lemma".

Yes.  It's very similar.

One needs to decide what factors one cares about the most.  I said a few
threads ago that I don't think there is a completely satisfactory solution.  I
think the possibilities are roughly:

1.  Fix lists so that signatures survive.

2.  Have MLMs change the domain of the message.

3.  Have mail get rejected/discarded/etc.

There are variants of all three possibilities, but none that will satisfy
everyone.

Scott K