Re: [ietf-dkim] draft-ietf-dkim-mailinglists annex MUA considerations

2010-08-15 14:46:03
I intially saw a need for a MUA considerations because:
* I still hope DKIM will help protect email identity
* end users rely, or should rely, on their MUA to present verified identity
information in an easily digestable way.

Hmmn.  Not to be unduly snarky, but I have the impression that this is
some other DKIM than the one defined in RFC 4871.

DKIM associates a signing identity, which is a domain name, with a
message.  That's all it does.  It has nothing to do with "verified
identity information" by which I'm guessing you mean something about
the contents of the From: line.

There are other IETF standards that may be useful for your purposes.
Please look at RFCs 5750 through 5755, the latest version of S/MIME,
which associates an X.509 signature with the MIME body of a message.
The signature includes various identity attributes of the signer,
generally including a name and e-mail address, and is itself signed by
a mutually trusted signing agent.

Nearly all MUAs in use today have S/MIME support built in, or at worst
an easily installed plug-in.  Since you say you're interested in
having MUAs present verified identity information, which they do right
now, automatically, with S/MIME signatures, I'm kind of surprised
you're not using it now.

R's,
John