Re: [ietf-dkim] Proposed changes to MLM draft

2010-08-30 16:47:30
On Monday, August 30, 2010 02:03:45 pm Murray S. Kucherawy wrote:
I'd like some help tackling the next version of the MLM draft.  People seem
to have varying ideas about what should be removed and perhaps appear in
other documents now.  I need some consensus on a direction in which to
proceed.

So can I please get some +1s/-1s on each of the following:

(1) Split the document into three documents: A DKIM MLM BCP that discusses
signing and verifying in the context of MLMs with no value-add items
addressed, a DKIM MLM Informational that discusses possible value-add
enhancements to MLMs in the DKIM world, and a non-WG BCP about mailing
lists irrespective of DKIM (Dave's proposal);

-1.  I don't think the first part has much value without the second (if I
understand the split correctly).

(2) Tear out everything having to do with making author signatures survive
list relaying, dropping all that text altogether, and instead pointing
people at S/MIME or PGP (John's proposal);

-1.  While I think it's premature to specify "THE" way to solve such problems,
I think it's useful to present possibilities for implementers to consider.  I
don't think redefining the problem so that a class of failures are no longer
failures is helpful.

(3) Something else (and specify what that might be).

AND...

If you support any of the above, please take a few minutes to include some
pointers to what text you want changed/exported and in what way.  Actual
diffs would be ideal, but I'll take point-form commentary as well.

I'll try and do this, but not today.

AND...

If you advocate for a general MLM BCP, this will be a non-WG document (it's
outside of our charter) so I'd love to get some MLM operators and
developers involved.  (Maybe this should take place on ietf-822 or maybe
on a new non-WG list; suggestions welcome.)  Expressions of interest in
that work would be appreciated.  I'll approach the APPS ADs about a venue.

Thanks,
-MSK

Scott K