Re: [ietf-dkim] draft-ietf-dkim-mailinglists-02 review

2010-09-01 11:03:10
+1
On Sep 1, 2010, at 5:18 AM, John Levine wrote:

ANNEX A - MUA Considerations

Is a draft about mailing lists the right place to make recommendations
to MUA developers?  Seems like those should probably be in a separate
document.

No, but the entire document is riddled with advice that has no basis
in experience and is unlikely ever to be implemented.

We have a serious problem that people in this group have deeply
incompatible ideas of what DKIM does.  A lot of the arguments seem to
be from people who believe that a DKIM signature can or should
identify the individual author of a message, and that subscribers to
mailing lists need assurances about the identity of list authors
beyond the minimal level that has been adequate for the past twenty
years.  I have trouble understanding how anyone who is familiar with
DKIM or with the operation of mailing lists could hold these
positions, but it is quite obvious that some do.

At this point, unless we can cut back the MLM document to stick to
items that we have consensus about, e.g., that it is typical for
signatures applied to incoming mail not to verify after a message
passes through an MLM, and that it would be nice if a list or its MTA
signed its outgoing mail, I don't think we will produce anything that
is useful to anyone.

R's,
John