Re: [ietf-dkim] draft-ietf-dkim-mailinglists-02 review

2010-09-14 04:38:54

--On 13 September 2010 10:21:55 -0700 Michael Thomas <mike(_at_)mtcc(_dot_)com>
wrote:

 Unless you have a MLM that
is completely purpose-built with SMTP, or has bits and pieces of itself
inserted into
milter-like parts of the SMTP stream, your average MTA is going to have
no clue whether it's destined for a MLM or anything else.

I disagree. I use Mailman 2.x and Exim. Mailman has a rudimentary SMTP
server, and Exim punts mail to that SMTP server in order to achieve
delivery. Exim knows exactly which emails are being delivered to Mailman.

In Mailman 3, things will look even better. Exim will be able to make a
call forward to Mailman to determine (a) whether the list exists, and (b)
whether the sender is permitted to post messages to the list. Exim will
know whether the message is signed, and can do simple DNS lookups to find
ADSP records.

--
Ian Eiloart
IT Services, University of Sussex