Re: [ietf-dkim] draft-ietf-dkim-mailinglists-02 review

2010-09-13 15:41:52
On Sep 13, 2010, at 10:10 AM, John R. Levine wrote:

What ADSP users want is irrelevant. This is about what MLMs want (which is
most likely to ensure that submitted messages reach the whole of their
list without problems).

Right.  The easiest way to do so, assuming you believe that enough people
will use ADSP to matter, is to discard incoming messages with ADSP
settings that can cause trouble.  If they say their mail is discardable,
take them at their word and discard it.

I disagree.

The ADSP=discardable deployer is not conveying apathy regarding the
deliverability of their mail, quite the opposite IMO.  They are saying (to
paraphrase) "please attempt to verify the DKIM signature on this message
against the key record in our DNS for this domain/subdomain, and if you cannot
verify the signature then please discard the message as a means of protecting
your subscriber from phishing attacks, otherwise please deliver the message and
do so knowing we put this much effort into ensuring the goodness of the mail
before we sent it".

-- Brett