Re: [ietf-dkim] draft-ietf-dkim-mailinglists-02 review

2010-09-28 14:14:20
On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 1:18 PM, Dave CROCKER <dhc(_at_)dcrocker(_dot_)net>
wrote:

On 9/13/2010 7:19 AM, MH Michael Hammer (5304) wrote:
If a domain publishing ADSP discardable has not gotten control of their
mailstreams then all I can say is "Darwin was right".

I agree with you completely.

The problem is that customers of a receiving ISP often do /not/ agree with
you.

When their ISP discards mail the customer wanted, the explanation "well, it's
what the author told me to do" typically does not work.  And since the
customer's contact is with the receiving ISP, it is the receiving ISP that
must
alter their activity.

I'm not convinced this is entirely true. We often get queries from our
clients who get queries from their subscribers asking what happened to
the email they were expecting. In other words, the questions are being
initially directed to the Author, not the recipient's ISP, about the
missing email.

So the exchange is more likely to be:

1) message sent with restrictive policies
2) message bounces/is discarded
3) recipient feels unloved, asks Author why?
4) Author looks at logs and sees message was delivered, asks recipient
to ask their ISP why
5) recipient asks ISP why
6) recipient gets an answer from ISP (really?)

--
Jeff Macdonald
Ayer, MA