Re: [ietf-dkim] Discussion lists and broadcast lists are not the same thing

2010-09-24 10:10:05

On 9/24/2010 7:52 AM, Jeff Macdonald wrote:
It may be productive if we distinguish between two-way discussion lists
where participants send mail to the list, and one-way broadcast lists where
only the owner (or their agent) sends mail to the list.

The difference between these is to be large enough that the concepts do not
generalize that well.

Since I work for an ESP, I agree with this statement.

In terms of the vocabulary used in the Email Architecture document[1], these two
services are completely different.

An MLM really is a mailing list [2].

A bulk, one-way sending service is an entirely different kind of entity and
service.[3]

d/

[1]  <http://bbiw.net/specifications/rfc5598-email-arch.html#Mediator>

[2]  <http://bbiw.net/specifications/rfc5598-email-arch.html#rfc.section.5.3>

[3]  <http://bbiw.net/specifications/rfc5598-email-arch.html#service-mua>:

One example is a bulk sending service...
These services are not to be confused with a Mailing List Mediator, since
there is no incoming message triggering the activity of the automated
service.

(This mode probably should get its own name and should be documented up in the
Mediator text, rather than be buried in the MUA text.  /d)

--

   Dave Crocker
   Brandenburg InternetWorking