Re: [ietf-dkim] Discussion lists and broadcast lists are not the same thing

2010-09-28 14:28:33

On Sep 28, 2010, at 11:34 AM, J.D. Falk wrote:

On Sep 24, 2010, at 11:05 AM, John Levine wrote:

Do concepts generalize enough to allow issuing
draft-ietf-dkim-mailinglists also for these "authoring" MLMs?

No.  All of the complications in mailing lists arise from the fact
that the author of the message is not related to the operator of the
list.

Even though ESPs are generally sending mail on behalf of customers,
their relationship to the customers allows them to be the customer, as
far as mail authentication is concerned.  There are some issues about
how a customer delegates part of its identity to its ESP, but they are
completely, totally, unrelated to the MLM issues we've been arguing
about.

A document on those delegation issues might be helpful also.

I cover the main approaches I'm aware of, briefly, at
http://dkimcore.org/deployment/esp.html

I'm planning on fleshing that out a bit this weekend[1] to turn it into more of
a design manual. If anyone has any docs or thoughts about ESP-style DKIM
delegation I'd love to share.

Cheers,
  Steve

[1] Yay for long, boring plane flights!