Re: [ietf-dkim] Discussion lists and broadcast lists are not the same thing

2010-09-24 11:49:24
On 24/Sep/10 17:06, Dave CROCKER wrote:
On 9/24/2010 7:52 AM, Jeff Macdonald wrote:
 It may be productive if we distinguish between two-way discussion lists
 where participants send mail to the list, and one-way broadcast lists where
 only the owner (or their agent) sends mail to the list.

 The difference between these is to be large enough that the concepts do not
 generalize that well.

 Since I work for an ESP, I agree with this statement.

Do concepts generalize enough to allow issuing
draft-ietf-dkim-mailinglists also for these "authoring" MLMs?  I agree
that some solutions, e.g. publishing a key on behalf of an MLM, suit
ESPs better than regular mailing lists; but why is it important to
differentiate them, given that, in principle, the solution could work
for both?

In terms of the vocabulary used in the Email Architecture document[1], these
two
services are completely different.

An MLM really is a mailing list [2].

A bulk, one-way sending service is an entirely different kind of entity and
service.[3]

Yes, and there are behaviors in between...

[1]<http://bbiw.net/specifications/rfc5598-email-arch.html#Mediator>

[2]<http://bbiw.net/specifications/rfc5598-email-arch.html#rfc.section.5.3>

[3]<http://bbiw.net/specifications/rfc5598-email-arch.html#service-mua>:

 One example is a bulk sending service...
 These services are not to be confused with a Mailing List Mediator, since
 there is no incoming message triggering the activity of the automated
 service.

(This mode probably should get its own name and should be documented up in the
Mediator text, rather than be buried in the MUA text.  /d)

An ESP may let clients compose their text on a web form or else accept
it via SMTP --in this respect it resembles a MUA.  However, MUAs
require that recipients be typed, or selected from personal address
books.  The process of substituting email addresses --PII-- from a
corporate data base on the server makes a relevant difference;
privacy-based legal arguments hinge on it.