Re: [ietf-dkim] Updated implementation report

2010-10-01 12:09:09

On 10/1/2010 9:58 AM, MH Michael Hammer (5304) wrote:
You misinterpret what I wrote (or perhaps I wasn't clear enough) or
intended to write.

Well, I do tend to overinterpret single data points...

What I was trying to communicate is that the value proposition for DKIM
signing appears (At least to me) stronger for the owner/administrator of
a given domain than it would be for a given 3rd party.

And my point is that the this set of data don't provide a basis for making such
a fundamental assertion.  I'm not saying your opinion is wrong -- although I do
think it is misguided -- but rather than this data on their own don't
substantiate that assessment.  There are too many other possible explanations
for this data.

(As for misguided, I think that it is a mistake to discuss DKIM 'value' in
terms
of author-vs-non-author, since DKIM is not designed to make assertions about
authorship.  It is design to enable making assertions about handlers of email
and it is designed to make them differentially for different streams.)

As far as your example of intelligence, your question regarding
"importance" is incomplete. Important to whom and in what context?

Exactly.  Please re-apply this point to the current topic...

Note, I didn't say that 3rd party signing was less important generally.
What I wrote (or intended to write)  was that my belief is that 1st
party signing represents a higher value proposition to 1st party signers
than 3rd party signing represents to 3rd party signers.

Oh.  Sorry.  I didn't get that.  It's an interesting idea but I'd want to hear
it explored quite a lot, since the idea of value is pretty broad.  For example,
if 3rd party signatures allow an ESP to get mail delivered better and,
therefore, to stay in business, I'd be hard-pressed to call DKIM's 'value'
lower
than for a first-party signer.

Most of the 1st party signers I have spoken with are more focused on
abuse issues.

Well, it's certainly true that first party signers have an easier opportunity
conflate goals.

d/

--

   Dave Crocker